Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Fun, friends, and farewells!

My last Saturday night in Rotterdam was quite memorable, to say the least! My hilarious friends decided I needed a true "out on the town" kind of evening to experience nightlife in Rotterdam. I'd returned from Portugal just that morning on an early flight, and spent the day catching up on little chores and preparing myself to head back home to the US later that week...and taking a desperately needed nap to prepare for that evening!

No amount of napping could have prepared me for these crazy gals! We had a blast! :)

My co-workers and friends, Gwen, Jeanine, and Boryana were with me for this evening. We started out in a little place that seemed quite mild, but as the evening went on, more and more people filtered in and the music got louder, and some more friends joined us. Before we knew it, we had quite a crew and were all laughing and dancing and having a great time, despite the cold rain outside. We had so much fun dancing and singing along to songs that we all actually knew! I felt very much at home during those moments!





The night was quite an experience as I have now seen some serious techno dancing, lots of Dutchies singing American songs to the tops of their lungs, and ohhh the things Dutch DJs do to American songs...have you ever heard a techno version of Elvis' "Blue Suede Shoes"? I have!

I tried to post the videos, but unfortunately...(or perhaps fortunately for some)...they will not post! 

But alas, all good things must come to an end. Sadly, the end of this night marked the last of my "first" experiences in the Netherlands, as I prepared to head back home on Thursday.

I have to admit, until about Sunday evening, I hadn't really been too homesick. Sure, I'd had a couple of moments when I needed to remember where I'd come from, but a quick FaceTime call would usually fix that. Then, it hit me that I was actually going home in a matter of days. Then, it hit me what I was leaving behind...some wonderful, fun, hilarious people who I have really gotten to know much better and have (hopefully) made lifetime friendships with!

Wouldn't you miss this bunch of awesome people?!

My office buddies! (I promise, we really do get work done here...!)
The girls! Love them!
My favorite tour guide & partner-in-crime! (don't we look like we could be up to something?!...nahhh!)
She may be Oprah, and I may be Gayle... :)
Many fond farewells! ...or see you laters?!
Funny people...and all I know was someone (Boryana) called Man-Wai an Asian...!! LOL!
Afterwords...
Ohhh I do miss this bunch of awesomeness. But I am happy to be home, for a little while. Honestly, it is turning out to be a very little while! It's been just over a month since my arrival back in the US, and on Wednesday, November 20th, I will be boarding a plane back to Europe for a couple of weeks. This time, I will be visiting Germany, Belgium, and of course, my friends in the Netherlands!!!!!! And even more exciting, I get to visit this area with three of my favorite US co-workers and friends- the best of both worlds! I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment