Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hallo, Rotterdam!

Architecture, the Market, and World Port Days...today, I truly experienced ROTTERDAM!

This morning, a coworker and her husband were kind enough to allow me to trek along with them via the Metro to downtown Rotterdam. In Tennessee, we don't have public transportation like this, in fact only in very large cities like Boston and New York do you have the opportunity to learn how to move about via public transportation. Thankfully, I spent a good bit of time in Boston a couple of years ago and really enjoyed using the T there, so I found this to be a bit familiar. Once my friends explained how to load and use my chipcard (public transport card), then we were off to the center of the city. It costs about a euro for each trip on the metro (underground) or tram (street car above ground), which as you can imagine, is significantly cheaper and faster than driving and parking here. I'm really starting to understand that it is very easy and economical to get nearly anywhere by bicycle as the city is set up with red bike lanes everywhere. Unfortunately, I don't have a bike! But for now, my two options of public transport and car are great.

I've found this city to be quite unique. An eclectic mix of old world and new - so old that extremely traditional ways of life are unquestionably normal, and yet so new that it seems the rest of the world hasn't quite caught on yet, perhaps even I would dare to call it futuristic. 

I'll start with the architecture. I understood before I arrived that this city is full of uniquely famous architecture and it didn't take long to figure out why. I've never seen so many forms in the same place. From the oldest Gothic church to the modern example of cubism, I was oddly fascinated by these giant works of art.

My love of old churches was sparked again when I stumbled upon this massive Gothic church, and realized that in all my life, this was possibly the oldest thing I had ever laid eyes on. It was a stunning thought to realize that this church was hundreds of years older than the country from which I came from just a few days ago. The St. Lawrence church, built from 1449-1525 is the only building in Rotterdam remaining from the medieval period of the city. During the bombing of Rotterdam in 1940 the church was almost totally destroyed and the tower badly damaged, but was restored and now houses the Marcussen organ, the largest in the Netherlands.






On the opposite spectrum, I found incredible examples of modern art displayed all over the city in giant buildings. 

The Cube Houses in Rotterdam. Yes, these are apartments!





Next, I explored the Market (Markthal Rotterdam). The market is open downtown every Tuesday and Saturday and was the most incredible display of everything you could possibly need here- clothes, personal items, various foods, flowers, and anything else you could probably think of, and at mostly reasonable prices. The food here costs about a third what it would in the local supermarkets, and is the freshest of its variety. 



(I know, I still can't get over the un-refrigerated eggs!)







The fishmongers area was incredible! I didn't know there were so many varieties available and the prices were very reasonable! All fresh since we are at a major seaport!


Yes, that's octopus!!!!!!!!


My favorite part of the market was definitely the flower shops. I have never seen some of these flowers before in my life. They were absolutely stunning and my coworker explained to me that all of the flowers in Europe come through Holland before being exported elsewhere. 




I still have no idea what these flowers are, but they were my absolute favorite of everything there!

After the market, my friends and I departed ways and I found myself feeling adventurous enough to explore the city a little on my own. After doing a little shopping in some of the stores nearby I was thrilled to find a few pieces of home. 



Mickey D's! I discovered that American portions are significantly different than European portions. The large size Coke here is actually the medium size in the US. A medium fry here is the small in the US. Most of the menu items are significantly different. There are actually much healthier choices available here in the Netherlands than at the McDonald's in America.

I also found one of my favorite cosmetics stores. Lush Cosmetics, an all organic chain of skin & haircare items, is hard to find in the US, but here, it's just around the corner.


Thankfully, Google Maps on my phone seemed to do just the trick to get me wherever I wanted to go. I found out that there was a festival here called World Port Days that was going on at the Port of Rotterdam. I had no trouble getting there on the metro, and was ecstatic at the sights that awaited there- a beautiful display of maritime history, bridge architecture, and gorgeous, salty water. I love that smell!




Thousands of onlookers lined the bridge to watch the ships coming through the port.



Hi!!!! :) (shameless selfie)

I explored a little of the surrounding port area and found beautiful old ships, newer sailboats, and gorgeous old buildings all in the vicinity of where I was. 

I really want to take a boat out here!




My NC family will love this...for sale, 7.5 Euro:




And I tried a special Dutch treat! Wafel with aardbei (strawberry).


It was an incredible experience and beautiful day! 











1 comment:

  1. I am loving reading about your European adventure!

    ReplyDelete