Monday, September 9, 2013

Sleepy Sunday

Jet lag is still quite present, I believe. The 6-hour time difference has really been quite a shock to my body so today, I rested. It is Sunday after all! I searched for a English speaking church in Rotterdam quite a bit yesterday, but was unsuccessful in finding one nearby. I must admit it hadn't really occurred to me that finding a church would be so difficult here. I certainly haven't given up because that is one of the most important parts of my life. Anywhere I may potentially live in the future I will want to have a good church family. Meanwhile, I was grateful to listen to Pastor Jentzen Franklin this afternoon via streaming media.  But, I miss my home church a lot. 


I did get out to explore my neighborhood this evening I am so glad that I did! I discovered a beautiful lake and park to walk in less than two blocks away from my current apartment. Can you believe all this is so close?!




Look---windmills!!! :)



I even had a little furry friend join me on my walk. How cute is this little guy?! :)



It was really a nice afternoon. I went to the local supermarket and bought some new foods to try. It's still an adventure every time I walk in there, but I'm not nearly as intimidated as I was the first time.

Probably the hardest thing about this big adventure has been being away from my family. But I'm extremely grateful for having things like FaceTime so that I can see them every day.

Even Bella likes to FaceTime!! :)

It's still strange to know that they are not just a few minutes away anymore, but the people here are very kind and I'm starting to feel a little more at home every day, even if I am a bit lonely here. I do miss having some social time to just go to the movies with friends, or hanging out at someone's house, or having people over for dinner. Work will primarily become my social center, and that is okay but hopefully my work friends will also become good personal ones. I do miss that about my crew from Kingsport, but then again I've not even been here a week, these things take time. 

It's been a nice cool day and the rain has started coming down now. I really like the weather here so far. No one has air-conditioning which I thought would be very hard to get used to but it's really okay, in fact I really enjoy having my windows open all the time for the fresh air. And the rain always smells so good! 

Tomorrow I head to work for the first time by myself... Which means driving there by myself. Eeeeeeeekkk!!! I will be ok...I will be ok... :)

Sorry for a short post today but in 2 days, I leave for Izmir, Turkey... So much more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment