Thursday, November 28, 2013

My Dutch Thanksgiving

Even though I missed my US crew after they left, I was excited to get back to the office and have a little reunion with my Dutch friends. I had some assignments to work on this week, so I stayed over a few days. 

"Reunited, and it feeeeelllllssss sooo goood.....!" :)

 



I decided to take public transport a couple of days while I was there because I didn't have a car, so I wanted to show you my sweet ride to work...electric, no driver... :) I live on the edge.


 I learned all about Sinterklaas at lunch one day, and saw a few Zwarte Piets running down the street during a meeting...this made me literally laugh out loud. Also, the Dutch have a strange impression that Coca-Cola made Santa popular in the US... oh the stories people tell on us Americans... ;)

I had a great couple of days catching up with my Dutch friends and even getting to enjoy dinner with a few of them.They are all so great- I am never very lonely there, which I was very thankful for because, for first time in my life, I wasn't going to be with my family on Thanksgiving. 

I was quickly reminded that in every other country of the world, Thanksgiving doesn't really exist. Some countries have a form of it, but for the most part, this is definitely an American thing. It was weird to receive messages from friends and family in the US, wishing me a happy Thanksgiving, when I really wasn't acknowledging the holiday where I was. But, I still had a great day because I was able to participate in a group workshop with my EU team and we had a fun evening with a huge meal! So, in some ways, it was very much like Thanksgiving, however, this one involved painting... :)






 Thanks again, dear EU friends for making me feel at home! I really enjoyed my short time in Europe again, and I can't wait to go back again. Who knows? It might be sooner than I think!





No comments:

Post a Comment